Wednesday, December 29, 2010

It's work

Especially this summer, I drove South Presa many times but somehow only today noticed a business along it called “Nice Things.” It looks like a Dollar General, and I think Alejandro, the borracho next door, rode his bike there this morning while I watched Dead Man Walking on the floor of a dark bedroom. He wasn’t drunk yet, just unsteady on his bike in the misty rain. I saw him leave, and then returned to the story on my computer. The clouds separated midway through, but that movie itself is dark; I didn’t open any curtains.


It’s an adaptation of two true murders—four if you consider lethal injection a murder. Sean Penn consolidates the two condemned men into one white supremacist with a pompadour, and Susan Sarandon, a nun, agrees to spiritually advise his last days. I was grateful it avoided the old trope of morality as ambiguous. The murders are brutal. I didn’t expect to feel hopeful by the end.


A few moments really impacted me:

Sister Prejean’s insistence that Poncelet had dignity, was a child of God.

A quote, “It’s not faith, it’s work.”

The calluses on Poncelet’s hands in the death chamber.

My own rage against him.


I thought it would be a fine movie for a pulpit to advocate. Frequently it quoted Scripture. Mentioned but not overbearing were class and race—two structures I did notice this summer driving South Presa. Poverty didn’t fully victimize Poncelet; he couldn’t be absolved because of it; he praised Hitler but eventually assumed responsibility. It was then Sister Prejean mentioned his spiritual heritage, to which he responded no one had called him a son of God before.


Even having considered myself a pacifist for five years, I struggled not to hate Poncelet for his racism and impenitence, not to wish his appeal would be denied. I wondered if I could love like Jesus (like Sister Prejean). The climax offered some hope against my heart. My palms used to have calluses, I immediately thought as the nurse readied the needle, which is not to say I am one welfare check away from Poncelet’s life, but simply this, that our souls are descendents of the same God, however far removed. We all are. And this may be esoteric, but I need more stories to encourage my work of remembering that.

3 comments:

  1. "Dead Man Walking" & Sr. Helen Prejean: A Critical Review (1)
    from Dudley Sharp

    " . . .makes you realize the Dead Man Walking truly belongs on the shelf in the library in the Fiction category." "Being devout Catholics, 'the norm' would be to look to the church for support and healing. Again, this need for spiritual stability was stolen by Sister Prejean." (2) The parents of rape/torture/murder victim Loretta Bourque.

    "(Sr. Prejean's) certainly not after giving anybody spiritual advice to try to save their soul." "I wouldn't have had as much trouble with (Prejean's) views if she would have told the truth, if she would have researched the (rape/torture/murder of Faith Hathaway)." " (Sr. Prejean) certainly didn't interview me, didn't interview any of the witnesses in the case." " . . . (Sr. Prejean) based her book on what was in I guess a defense file and what Robert Willie telling her." " . . . she's trying to mislead people in the book. And that's something that she's going have to work out with herself." (3)


    (1) "Sister Helen Prejean & the death penalty: A Critical Review"
    http://homicidesurvivors.com/2009/05/04/sister-helen-prejean--the-death-penalty-a-critical-review.aspx

    (2) Dead Family Walking: The Bourque Family Story of Dead Man Walking,
    http://www.deadfamilywalking.com/index.htm

    (3) Angel on Death Row: An Interview with Detective Vernado in the case of Faith Hathaway
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/angel/interviews/mvarnado.html


    Other, related links

    "Death Penalty Support: Christian & Secular Scholars"
    http://prodpinnc.blogspot.com/2009/07/death-penalty-support-modern-catholic.html


    "The Death Penalty: Neither Hatred nor Revenge"
    http://homicidesurvivors.com/2009/07/20/the-death-penalty-neither-hatred-nor-revenge.aspx


    "The Death Penalty: More Protection for Innocents"
    http://homicidesurvivors.com/2009/07/05/the-death-penalty-more-protection-for-innocents.aspx


    "The Innocent Executed: Deception & Death Penalty Opponents"
    http://homicidesurvivors.com/2009/10/08/the-innocent-executed-deception--death-penalty-opponents--draft.aspx


    "Killing equals Killing: The Amoral Confusion of Death Penalty Opponents"
    http://homicidesurvivors.com/2009/02/01/murder-and-execution--very-distinct-moral-differences--new-mexico.aspx


    "The Death Penalty: Not a Human Rights Violation"
    http://homicidesurvivors.com/2006/03/20/the-death-penalty-not-a-human-rights-violation.aspx


    "Physicians & The State Execution of Murderers: No Ethical/Medical Dilemma"
    http://prodpinnc.blogspot.com/2009/10/physicians-state-execution-of-murderers.html


    "Pope John Paul II: Prudential Judgement and the death penalty"
    http://homicidesurvivors.com/2007/07/23/pope-john-paul-ii-his-death-penalty-errors.aspx


    "At the Death House Door" Can Rev. Carroll Pickett be trusted?"
    http://homicidesurvivors.com/2009/01/30/fact-checking-is-very-welcome.aspx

    More topics upon request.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dudley, I appreciate the time you took to respond to this post, but I'm afraid its true intent was lost in the context of a political debate. I have my own, strong, opinions about the death penalty, but I did not mean to argue Poncelet (Sonnier/Willie) was a man undeserving of the severest punishment. The film portrayed him as a monstrous human. I think I would never be capable of his crimes; I think most citizens are not. But I have vices Poncelet lacked, and I believe all humans are equal in the eyes of God the Father. I realize the men on whom Poncelet was based may have deserved death, but I am striving to never then consider that I am righteous and better enough to deserve life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, I appreciate the time you took to provide your post.

    I'm afraid my true intent was lost in the context of a political debate. I have my own, strong, opinions about the death penalty, but I mean to argue that Sr. Prejean has truly perverted the debate.

    I had no intent to counter your beliefs.

    ReplyDelete