I don't like Chauncey. I used to tolerate him, but I've seen that man without medication. The things he says, the mean things, are intentional. He wants to hurt others, to see how they react. I don't like people like that.
Joseph handles him so well. They talk every time Chauncey saunters in. When I first started working, I thought it was naïvete. You can't look at the world and see so much goodness in others. I still think Joseph is naïve, but it looks like he brings out something good from Chauncey. I can't. I can't be around him.
Once, I was wearing earrings. Chauncey told someone he loved her earrings and then looked at me and said, "Why would you buy those disgusting things? They're horrible." My aunt had given them to me before she died of cancer. They were all I had left of her. Another time, he came up to the bar and started talking. He knows I'm from Detroit. He asked me about the Lions, then out of the blue said, "You know, they can't even bury their dead in that city." My great-grandmother died a few months ago; my parents are having a hard time arranging her funeral. How could he know that?
No comments:
Post a Comment